Monday, June 6, 2011

2. Carbon


Hello again!
I am doing a pretty poor job with taking my time on these poems, but I am just so completely satisfied with this one that I decided to post it anyway. But don't worry, I know that it will probably need work and I am willing to accept your critiques. 

This poem is a rather personal reaction for me. Carbon will always mean the building block of life for me, (and the substance my archery arrows are made from!), so I was musing over what type of life-poem I wanted to write. That night I dreamed I was spending time with two of my friends whom I have not seen in a year. It was an oddly normal, but characteristically real dream for me. We were simply hanging out and doodling. Nothing out of the ordinary. 

But here's the thing: one of those friends passed away three weeks ago.

The dream didn't make me sad, really, it just reminded me of his going. The first stanza I wrote is actually the second to last stanza in this poem. It flowed into me easily after I woke up. 

So here is my poem, and I have named it in honor of the person who inspires me still, after his death.


~*~*~*~*~ 

Benjamin
6/6/11

A shadow crossed my consciousness,
A Haunting in my dream.
A voice from moments long ago,
You’re gentle laugh to hush my scream.

But sunlight eats your energy,
Leaving my eyes to dry.
With fog-encrusted mentality,
I know it was you I did espy.

But my heart remembers softly,
The truth that couldn’t hide.
And I forgo assembling
To set my love aside.

You are more than carbon,
A memory I can feel.
A story never printed,
Something tangible and real.

Though your existence falters,
Between the dead and lies,
I will etch my heart around you,
And sing my sweet goodbyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment